Monday, January 19, 2009

Why I Relay

Working on the Relay For Life Float

I am involved in Relay For Life for a number of reasons. The number one reason is because my wife is passionate about Relay. She has such a passion for Relay For Life that it rubs off on those around her. Her passion stems from her family history. Her mother died of cancer when Gina was just 21 years old. Her father had colon cancer, and all three of her sisters have had breast cancer. She is the only person in her immediate family that is cancer free.

Luminary Ceremony
JIM "BIG BEAR" HUFF AND REGINA LAWRY
2008 POLK COUNTY RELAY FOR LIFE

Several years ago, Gina's sister Roberta got involved with Relay For Life in Enumclaw, Washington. For a number of years, Gina would travel to Enumclaw to be a part of Relay For Life there. Two years ago, we learned that Polk County was going to have a Relay. We got involved in the 2007 Relay, and have been involved ever since.

My uncle, Delbert Lawry, died from cancer a couple of years ago. I lost not only an uncle, but a friend and someone who was willing to help anytime. I have come to realize the importance of the work that the American Cancer Society does. It is involved in research, prevention, and helping those who are dealing with cancer.

Just about everyone has been affected by cancer in one way or another. Relay For Life is a fun way to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society. There is probably no other cause that a person can support that touches more lives. Relay celebrates those who have battled cancer, it remembers those who have fallen, and it provides a way to fight back. That is why I am proud to be a part of Relay For Life. I hope that you will be a part of Relay For Life too.

2 comments:

M said...

I came over from "Life with Kaishon." I linked from your blog to your Relay blog...I have been involved with our local Relay since 2003. In 2002 my teenaged daughter was dx w/leukemia. She had 2 1/2 years of daily chemo and is now in college and almost 4 years off treatment! WoW, your wife knows first hand what it's like! Anyways I am the Survivorship Chair for our local Relay...and also work with my own fundraiser for patients who have relapsed leukemia.

Thank you for your work with Relay- may we find a CURE!

Marie said...

I am a friend of Marey's and hopped over after seeing your comments on her blog.

My daughter, Marielle, was diagnosed at age 3 with leukemia. She also underwent 2.5 years of chemotherapy and now is a healthy 6 year old first grader.

We have participated in Relay for Life for 3 years now. Often people do a double take that a 6 year old can be a cancer survivor. Thank God she is a survivor.

Please continue your good work with Relay for Life! It is important work and we appreciate it.

Marie