Monday, May 9, 2011
Has it ever occurred to you that there could be a connection between breast cancer and your diet? Some researchers say that there are two key things in preventing cancer- estrogen regulation and immunity boosting. Dr. Kristi Funk, MD, says that while a genetic change is the root of all breast cancer, breast cancer is fed and fueled by estrogen. Dr Funk believes that if we can decrease estrogen in our bodies, we can remove some of that fuel that makes cancer cells multiply and divide. How do you do that? Here are 7 things, directly from a blog that Dr. Funk wrote, that help suppress estrogen.
1. Three cups of green tea a day can help prevent breast cancer because of its high EGCG antioxidant content. Squeeze a little lemon into your cup and increase the antioxidant power of your tea.
2. Garlic is a good immunity booster that also has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Olive oil and flaxseed oil contain monounsaturated fat, which can help suppress breast cancer.
4. Turmeric helps decrease estrogen. As little as one teaspoon a day has been shown to reduce tumor growth. Get your daily dose by mixing it into salad dressings, rice or vegetable dishes.
5. Cruciferous vegetables, such as kale, bok choy and Swiss chard bind estrogen in your GI tract and reduce tumor stimulation. They also detoxify the liver, which helps reduce the toxins flowing through your body that can irritate cells and turn them into early cancers.
6. Seaweed/Kelp are high in iodine, this is another estrogen reducer.
7. A daily supplement of Vitamin D (2000 IU) can prevent tumor metastasis, reduce cancer cells and aid estrogen inhibitors. Calcium-rich foods, such as sardines, salmon, milk and cheese are also highly recommended. Or, 15-20 minutes of sunshine every day can help you in getting your daily dose of Vitamin D.
With or without cancer, clearly it’s best to eat a diet that’s as healthy as possible loaded with lots of vegetables.
Posted by Richard Lawry at 6:40 PM